Sunday 30 December 2007

First Lesson with Teamviewer 3

I had my first lesson using TeamViewer 3 yesterday, I think it went really well. Hooooof said he could see my screen at the same resolution I see it.

I played for two hours mainly on my own with Luke watching me, looking for mistakes, better lines and where I was going wrong. He also occasionally couldn't hold back and told me where I was going wrong as I played.

I have a...sort of diary...called 'The Gospal by Muan', Which is basically a note of all the comments and critiques Hooooof makes when we go through my hands from each session. Its a way of recording where I need to improve to hopefully help me develop into a better poker play
er. Anyway... I made notes on his summary after my TeamViewer session, they are as follows:

  • Try and bluff/win pots that no villains seem bothered about, if there is a lot of checking going on make a bluff and take down the pot. (The Turn is the best place).
  • When I have 0 showdown value it is more important to try and take down a pot when bluffing spots are available.
  • Raise a lot more when its BB vs SB, Any two cards!
  • Adjust ranges depending on villains, the tighter the blinds the more button raises. With a very aggressive player to your left play tighter from SB and cutoff and looser on button.
  • Play under the gun range in the small blind.
  • When someone donk bets into me, think about their range not my hand strength. AK could be good on 886, and are their small pairs and 6’s calling a bluff?

1 comment:

Luke said...

Some comments about your gospel:

Showdown value is on a spectrum against his range. Think about his range and how your hand holds up unimproved. If it's wide, then A high may well have good showdown value. If someone has a tight cold calling range and has done so OOP, A high on 36910x is almost never going to be good. Sometimes Q high will be ahead of his range. Don't feel you have to bluff because you have no SDvalue either. Conversely don't check everything down when you have showdown value, sometimes it is better to bet and fold out a lot more of his range.

I don't like the comment of 'the turn is the best place' the turn is a good place if your opponent has checked twice and seems thoroughly disinterested. Then again so is the river and the flop too. There are no rules about this. Look for spots where villains have given up on the hand and try to win those pots. You should be doing everything for a reason including checking down.

I like what you say about when someone donks into you. For every decision:

1. What is his range?
2. How does he view my range?
3. Where does my hand fit into his perception of my range?

In that order.